Saturday, August 20, 2011

Indecision

A few months ago, in early April, I gave my dad a short speech about how what I really wanted to read was a book in which the protagonist (who, in the majority of the books I read these days, is a girl) had to choose between two boys and I couldn't choose who my favorite was. In all the books I've ever read that feature love triangles, I've always known who I want the girl to end up with from the very beginning. For Bella, I chose Edward over Jacob; for Katniss, I chose Peeta over Gale; for Clary, I chose Jace over Simon; for Tessa, I chose Will over Jem; for Ellie, I chose Will over Gavin (and I think over Kamil, too, but I still haven't finished those and I never really got to know him); for Jacky, I chose Jamie over... well, everyone else, haha; etc. This is not to say I got them all right; maybe I did, maybe I didn't (not telling). The point is, I always knew my choice, even when the girl didn't know hers. I always knew who I wanted her to be with. After so many books in which I was never uncertain, I wanted one in which I was. I wanted a book with a love triangle, where the girl couldn't choose between two boys and I couldn't either. Less than a week later, I found one. I give you The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan.


The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Mary has grown up listening to her mother's stories. Stories of a time, before the Return, when the Unconsecrated were not a constant danger, when the village was not an island of life in a sea of death, when there was a world outside the fences. Stories of a place called the ocean, where there is only water as far as you can see, and where the water is always moving, and where the water is filled with salt. And Mary feels restless. But the Sisterhood knows best, and it is not good to ask questions. Mary knows this, and she knows that soon her friend Harry will ask her to the Harvest Celebration, and next spring they will be married. Even though she wishes his brother Travis would ask her instead. But before she can accept her future with Harry, her mother is bitten by an Unconsecrated and released to the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Her brother Jed blames her, and he turns her out of their house. And since Harry fails to claim her, Mary's only choice is to join the Sisterhood, and relinquish what little freedom she has. But the unprecedented arrival of an Outsider from somewhere past the fences sets off a chain of events that leaves Mary and her loved ones without a home and with no choice but to venture beyond the fences and into the Forest of Hands and Teeth.

This book is a "postapocalyptic romance." Yes, it is about zombies. No, it is not a zombie massacre book. I think the Unconsecrated (aka the zombies) are just a vessel for the story, and they are dealt with sophisticatedly and sans cliches. The threat of the Unconsecrated is only the primary adversity the characters face; they are in a truly life-and-death situation. This is a story about the variable resilience of faith in personal beliefs, and it is a story about the bonds that hold people together, their mercurial strength in the face of hardship, and how they are broken. These are two beautiful themes, in my opinion. And it is a captivating book in all areas: the themes, the writing, the romance, the impossible journey, the secrets, the Unconsecrated. The writing is a curious combination of formal and informal, both beautifully simple and fascinatingly complex. The characterization is thorough and compelling; all the main characters have personal strengths and weaknesses, and they are all believable. Mary is a truly inspiring protagonist; she is strong and determined and stays true to herself. And Sister Tabitha is a very intriguing quasi-antagonist.
But, as I hinted in my introduction above, I think my favorite part of this novel is the love triangle. Travis or Harry? Harry or Travis? Mary is smitten with Travis at the outset, but her feelings fluctuated, and so did mine. In fact, I believe mine fluctuated more than hers! It was unprecedented. First I favored Harry, and then Travis, and then Harry again, and then Travis again, and then, and then, etc, etc. It was such an invigorating feeling, not being able to choose. And, as an added positive, it caused me to be very attached to both of them, as people and as love interests. I truly believe this is the first book I have read that has fostered such romantic indecision in me, and for this, I commend it to no end.

There's a movie page for The Forest of Hands and Teeth on IMDb, but the information is limited to writers (screenplay and novel), producer, and production attorney (...what?). It says 2011, but I can't imagine that's the truth, if they don't even have a director yet, let alone primary cast. According to Carrie Ryan's blog and the Seven Star Pictures site, it is a current project, though they say it is expected to come out in 2012 (makes a lot more sense to me). For this kind of book, the movie could go either way, but I would definitely see it. I feel like even if they don't get all the details right, and even if I don't agree with their casting choices, it will still be an amazing movie to watch, especially in theaters. Ha. I'm gonna cry so much. I forgot to say, this book made me cry more than just about every other book I've ever read. Second only to Deathly Hallows. I cried a lot. Anyways, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

There is a sequel - three, actually - though I'd say they're more of companions. I believe there are some of the same characters, but the stories belong to new and different protagonists. There is no cliff hanger at the end of The Forest of Hands and Teeth; you do not have to read the others. I'm going to, though. I already have the second book, The Dead-Tossed Waves. The third book is called The Dark and Hollow Places. And the third companion, which is really a prequel to the first, is called Hare Moon. It is about Sister Tabitha. I intend to read it. I like Carrie Ryan's writing, and I like the stories, so I'm gonna read all of them.

Thanks to... huh. I don't think I have anyone to thank for this. That's... unfortunate. Oh, I suppose I could thank Madeleine, my wonderful friend, who you will definitely hear a lot more about in the future, for reading this book after me, even though I sprung it on her at a really random time. And for finishing it really fast, so we could talk about it at that special sleepover when she finished reading the Hunger Games series to me and I started reading the Mortal Instruments series to her. She's pretty cool. So thanks, Maddie.

Recommendation: This is for sure YA, not that other people won't like it, but just be aware. If you like postapocalyptic romances, this is the book for you. If you like a little mystery mixed in, this has it. If you enjoy reading about zombies but are sick of all the usual stuff, check this out. And if, like me, you just want a book with a love triangle that you can't make up your mind about, this is the answer to your prayers. It was the answer to mine. I still can't get over how soon after I ranted to my dad I found exactly what I was looking for. I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment